You are sitting at work, counting down the minutes until 5 PM hits, thinking about everything you have to do when you get off and wondering when it stops — the rush of the day, the non-stop movement, but most importantly you’re dreaming of a day off to enjoy…well, life.
I think it’s safe to say, as women, we need our R&R time to keep that thin line of sanity from getting thinner. As a matter of fact, we deserve it. As much as society tries to keep us in one place, the truth is women have become an unstoppable force in today’s world. Full-time mothers are also full-time career women; full-time career women embark on paths to become business women, and no matter what path we choose to create for ourselves, the hustle and grind does not stop. But while life is happening, when is the right time to take a break? And the honest truth is, whenever you need it.
As a huge believer of the “treat yourself” mantra, it is crucial to make sure that while you are taking over the world, you are also taking care of yourself first. A little physical, mental and emotional self-care can and will do a whole lot of justice to your everyday life and here’s why:
- Know Your Worth: The universe has a way of throwing us curve balls, more than likely, to test us, but knowing who we are and standing firm in ourselves is one of the best ways to keep true to who you are. Whether it’s a personal or business matter, knowing what you deserve will preserve your peace of mind.
- Treat Yourself: Repeat after me: TREAT YOURSELF. When the kids are nagging, husband is lacking, work is stacking, remember to treat yourself to one of your favorite indulgences. Pedicures, manicures, massages, a shopping spree — whatever you want, you deserve because you work hard. Don’t forget it.
- Physical Exercise: As women, we are constantly faced with the pressures of being society’s version of “beautiful,” and whether we like to openly admit it or not, we are plagued by thoughts of not fitting the mold of a beautiful woman, but I am here to say ignore the voices because yes, you are beautiful. But I will also say, some physical exercise helps. Yes, ladies, I said it. Exercise helps. Now, I’m not saying to be in full train mode, but try taking a pilates, yoga or personal training session. I promise your mind and body will feel great.
- Mental Recuperation: Even through all these steps, sometimes it’s hard to cancel out the noise. It’s okay to admit the jibber-jabber of the days build up, but it’s not okay to let it consume you. It’s important to surround yourself with like-minded people who only feed you what your soul needs. Similarities in others will help keep you focused. It’s also important to block out the things that weigh you down, and that isn’t limited to people. Social media is known to have a huge impact on today’s mental health, so if needed, block the comments, followers, accounts that don’t build you up. And if you have to, you can even take a break from the social sphere. Always take care of yourself first.
So, what are you going to do? Take care of YOU! Treat yourself. And just in case you’re having one of those days where nothing seems to work and you need some extra self-loving, repeat some of these:
- I am beautiful.
- I am smart.
- I am worthy.
- I am a hard working woman.
- I deserve more.
- I deserve better.
- I love myself.
- I am a woman and I am proud.